We’re back from the 9th annual family gathering of the Bickels (Lois’ parents and Lois’ brother, his wife [Jinger] and their son), the Certalics (Jinger’s parents) and us on Thanksgiving weekend in Schaumburg, IL (home of the Woodfield Mall<= really big).
And, for the last 9 years, we had all read the same book and had a book talk (this year: A Thousand Splendid Sunsets [Hosseini of The Kite Runner]). At the suggestion by Lois, we each created a list of “Things we loved” that didn’t include the usual things like family or country or belief-like items. I scribbled mine on the back of notes from a little talk that I gave the editors of the Student Publications class and found more room on the hotel’s small notepad paper. It was interesting to hear each person’s list and was in general a pretty cool to do.
Try it sometime…or now–as a response to this post–it’s fun. It’s not so much in making this list, but sharing it with someone else who has made the list too.
So, here’s mine:
The Things I love:
- Venti Bold lots of room for cream with four packets of Sugar in the Raw from Starbucks at 7:07 a.m. before school.
- New England Clam Chowder with sour dough bread at The Tides restaurant in Bodega Bay, California.
- The Mac OS X OS with its Unix core underneath and the bling bling of the UI on our eMac.
- That each Bickel has a bottle of nasal spray on their night stand.
- Celtic Women, Riverdance, and “Danny Boy.”
- Most BBC comedies.
- Netflixing with Lois.
- Colin’s red hair and Evan’s hitting the floor.
- Making Ken and Doris coffee.
- The first bass note in a song.
- The pictures of Lois and me at the Japanese Tea Gardens (Golden Gate Park) in 1989 and 2001.
- The beginning, middle and end of a marathon.
- My 2007 Grand Rapids Marathon shirt.
- NPR (“Wait, wait…Don’t Tell me,” “This American Life,” and “Speaking of Faith”).
- Troubleshooting a website’s code and the moment when it works as it ought to.
- Writing in a black marble composition book.
- The Golden Gate Bridge on a bright foggy day.
- My running shoes.
- My Timberland shoes.
- A 1988 Ford Festiva.
- Building inuksuk on the Lake Michigan shore in Milwaukee, WI.
- The flatness of the Midwest.
- When Lois calls me a jackass.